Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Summer reading list

     My daughter came home a few days ago with a summer reading list from her teacher,  I was a bit surprised seeing as she's in Kindergarten!  I had a snack and a nap in Kindergarten, she's doing reading and math,  times they are a changin.
     Well she inspired this post, I have given myself a summer reading list also, I have found two wonderful books that I want to recommend.


1. The Map Theif  by Michael Blanding ( 2014)  This is a very interesting true crime story about a rare map dealer turned map thief Edward Forbes Smiley III  I'm already 2/3 of the way through this one and I can't wait to get back to it.  I actually found this book at my local library, my local library is progressive and extensive, they never disappoint!

2. Globes 400 years of exploration navigation and power  by Sylvia Sumira  ( 2014)  This book comes to me by recommendation of a friend and fellow globe collector. In Globes  the author takes us on a journey from the 15th through the 19th century to explore all facets of globe history, with unbelievable full color photography, I want to expand this review as I consume more of this book so look for an extensive review in a few weeks.  This book is available on Amazon  it probably won't be at your local library, but you will want it in yours.

     I'm always on the lookout for books about maps and globes,  if anybody has a favorite let me know it's hard to find printed material about globes especially, but we aim to change that of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment