SIGN IN BELOW TO FOLLOW VIA EMAIL

Friday, March 28, 2014

Welcome to a blog about collecting Antique terrestrial, and celestial globes


A lot of people I know who collect anything or who are passionate about a hobby usually get started by accident ( someone buys them a gift, or they stumble upon an object in an antique store) or they start collecting because they know of another collector or are exposed to it at some point IE your dad collected xyz so now you are interested.
I think collecting globes is an accidental hobby, at least it was for me I doubt too many people know a globe collector, they are rarely displayed in museum or gallery settings, so exposure to another collector is rare. In fact I have only face to face met only one other collector in four years.
So as I sit and write I think if there are only 50 people around who seriously collect globes than why blog at all. Well I'll answer my own question ( I'll probably do that a lot) I think globe collecting is in it's infancy. It is certainly not popular like some collecting genres. I think there are a lot of reasons for this there certainly are barriers to entry, old globes are hard to find, most antique dealers have none, in fact I visit a huge antique mall in Rochester NY fairly often and I see few if any globes and the few I see are either too beat up or too new to interest me. They take up a lot of space, after you buy your 3rd globe you will realize one of 2 things 1. I need to change my decorating to include globes, or 2. I need to devote a whole room to my collection; many people will do neither of these things and will not pursue the hobby.
So then who collects globes? Someone who becomes passionate about the hobby right away and decides it's important enough to alter their home environment. Why?? well for every collector there is a reason, I'll share mine in my next post.
     So please stay tuned to this blog I want to share and I want other collectors to share as well!! 


****Please subscribe to posts via email at the top of the blog, just fill in your email address and hit submit, then never miss a post****

2 comments:

  1. Hello,I have been passed on a terrestial globe,which i believe could be from the early 18th century.How can i prove the age of the globe ?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, welcome, study the geography, globes were rarely dated so you have to give yourself a geographic history lesson, I have a post that discusses dating a globe, as well as other resources on the web, good luck!

    ReplyDelete